And
so, as
I
wander
across
the muddy
and
stony beaches
of Dutch
Harbour, Amaknak
island, Unalaska,
staring
a lush green there in the back, probably imagination, a
back dog comes to me, and then a certain
guy, already saying “Hello hello
stranger! My name is Liam, but you can call me Noah, James, or
Oliver, or any
other
names you want”. And I, a bit surprised by
the
appearance of this
newcomer, right way, “Hello
Liam, Oliver
or James…” I
say,
and
then, “by
the way… and
what time it is?”. And instead
of telling me the time, in the meantime he
already
asking some
of
those
perennial questions like…
“Are you a tourist or…?”; “No, no not a tourist, but yeah,
I’m not from here... say,
I
just arrived by boat, I
mean, some
guys actually
dropped me over here, there,
and
off they went…” I say and he kinda smiles, a
suspicious kind of smile,
and
accordingly,
I
also ask him if he is really a local, or… “Yes, I was born here,
but… I’m the son of a Russian man with a Caribbean woman… if
that answer to curiosity about the color of my skin…” he says.
And so,
in
the meanwhile, as
we walk by the harbor I notice some kind of bells or Wind
Chimes
hanging from the masts of some boats, and as I look at it, the boy
straight way tells me that that is not Wind
Chimes
“That is Vint
Tshimes,
or Ulu
Chimes,
that’s the way we say it here…” he informs me, “as you may
see, they are not made of metal tubes, as usual, these ones are made
of clay, which makes the sound more light, isn't it?”; “hum,
actually yes, lighter or hollower…” And then, as we pass several
groups of fishermen, I get to see that they have a lot of gear to
organize, and they seem to do it patiently, quietly, even if I see no
fish around. And so, now, inside the window of one of these boats, I
can see several clocks displaying the time in different cities around
the world, places such as Tokyo, Saint Petersburg, Paris, Cape Town,
London, New York, and there is also a thermometer, it actually shows
55 degrees Fahrenheit, what is about 13 degrees Celsius, and so, yes,
it’s fresh, but not really cold, I may say. And then “It's
already summer and it won’t get much hotter than this” my comrade
says. Albeit, despite being summer, up on our front, a chain of
grayish clouds is hovering over the green hills. And then, I also can
spot some purple flowers up there, on the slopes, and as my mate
tells me about these flowers, I get distracted, again. So,
afterwards, as we leave the harbor, a couple of yellow school buses
are waiting for tourists here, French speaking ones, I notice. And as
we pass by them, I actually understand what they are actually talking
about. Not the usual conversation about cheese this time, they are
actually talking about Cordova
and the head of the Orca
Inlet on
the east side of the Prince
William Sound.
So, as it goes, in the meanwhile, a middle aged man with slanted eyes
tells the others that there are no roads connecting Cordova to other
Alaskan communities, and so, I get to curious about that Cordova, and
thus, I ask around what are they actually talking about, know that
there was some accident there, years ago, “The Exxon Valdez oil
spill”, my colleague says, “people want to go there because of
that”, and we skip that conversation. Further, as we advance, we
pass a couple of souvenir shops, but there is almost no one inside,
and then we pass some provincial cafes with wooden fences on the
front. My mate even greets the lady at the door of one of those
cafes, “her name is Monica”, he says, “she is my auntie”, he
confides. Then, along the roadside, by the water we follow, and after
a while I can resume it. There are almost no buildings here, just a
couple of warehouses with grayish containers on the lot and some
broken piers made of wood and moss. The warehouses look semi-rotten,
and the accesses covered with weeds and piles of shellfish hulls.
Further, we get to a muddy area and see some one-floor abandoned
houses, also in ruin. No doors, no windows, fallen roofs, plus all
that mud around, so, Chernobyl comes to my mind. And
then,
under some prickly pines, I see a sign saying “Tsunami evacuation
area”, and another one pointing to the “Unangan”, that was were
the first inhabitants of the inland live, my mate tells me, and then,
we cross a wooden bridge over a mud river, and from where we already
can see one part of Unalaska city. But right here, after the bridge,
no buildings yet, just some one storey houses with metal roofs. And
so, in the meanwhile, a van stops on the other side of the road, and
some kibitzers get out of the van and start taking photos in our
direction. “God’s away on business”, my mate says, pointing to
the big white building on our back, with that kind of roof, like a
small arabesque palace. And so, as we approach it, the Japanese
tourists are already leaving, and I still try to ask them what’s
their religion, but they just smile and point something at the sky.
“I love Japanese noise music!” I say, and they leave. Then, on
the back of the church I can see some more of those strange crosses
with three bars, the lowest one kinda slanted, and I wonder what that
means. So, as it goes, my comrade tells me about a movie that was
shot here, a movie with vampires and a post-office man that was a
cannibal. “Actually the postman ate the orthodox priest,” he says
“...and then, the Alaskan natives, the ones with slanted eyes,
became vampires… so, they would come during the night, looking for
people with no slanted eyes, etc”. Then, my colleague tells me that
his great-grandfather was a Russian Eskimo, “but Eskimo, is a term
that people don’t like over here”, he says “coz it refers to
several sorts of people” he adds, “the ones from Siberia, the
ones from North Pole, and the ones from Alaska… it’s to put all
in the same bag, the Yupik, the Iñupiat, the Chukchi etc.” And
then, to justify his dark skin, he confides that his mother is
actually from Caribbean origin, “but now she lives in Europe”, he
says. And so, here we go again, through this quiet, semi-abandoned
city, well, not really a city, because there are no buildings, just
some fenced amenities and one floor wooden houses with corrugated
steel panel roofs, and not many people outside… just some quiet
individuals minding their own business. And so, now, we approach
another lake, and I get confused about from where we came, because
water surrounds us from several sides. So, my mate tells me “This
is East Broadway Avenue… and there, is West Broadway Avenue, from
where we came, where is the Iliuliuk Harbor and the fish factories,
and down there is the Beaver Inlet, or Bobrovoy Guba, in Russian
language, it’s uninhabited, but good for fishing.” So, we cross
the main road and there is no traffic at all, but, we can hear some
noise, and then I understand that someone is revving the engine of a
stopped pickup, down there, and that thing is producing a lot of
black smoke, as we can see. The smoke mixes with the fog and gets
heavy, creating a black cloud hovering in the middle of the road. And
then,
“I
live here”, Noah/James/Oliver says, thus,
once
we get to the front porch of his house, a house similar to the other
ones around, a small one floor wooden house with a front porch and a
shack on the side. So, as we go inside, “I’m living here with a
couple of mates,” he says, “but they are all out now… they work
on the fishing ships and local factories, so, sometimes they are
working on the ships, other times at the factories… I never know
exactly…” And as we get in the small living room, on the wall, I
see huge pictures of palm trees and people stretched under them, on
the beach, and the landscapes looking so very realistic, but the
bodies are somehow glazed, dull. And also, hanging on the ceiling of
this same living room, there are many kinds of fishing lures, some of
them mixed with colorful feathers, looking more like native
hand-painted earrings. But the main thing here is a huge cast iron
stove, still steaming a bit. So, I sit on its side, warming up my
hands. And now, I take a look at the stuff hanging on the sides of
it, on racks, kitchen and bedroom stuff, all mixed up. And all the
seats around are also covered with stuff, so he tells me to throw
these gadgets to the floor, if I want to sit. And then, for some
reason, he starts talking about his mother, who kinda abandoned him
when he was only five. “I grew up with my father,” he says, “he
used to work on the fishing ships as well, but not fishing… cargo”.
And then I ask him if his father still lives in town, and he tells me
that no, “he is now in Los Angeles, living with some Spanish
speaking fat woman”. Likewise, he also asks me about my family, my
parents, my wife, my travels, and I tell him a bunch of things, all
mixed up, like the stuff he has hanging around the stove, and then we
sit on the sofa and begin watching a documentary about the reggae/dub
guru Lee
"Scratch" Perry.
And so, I ask him if he is also a fan of Lee Perry, and “yes” he
tells me. And then, coming back to the screen, in this interview we
are watching now, Lee is in his lonely shelter, in Switzerland, it
looks, somewhere in the middle of snowy mountains. And so, what we
see now is an old man with red beard, dressed in shabby colorful
clothes, his jacket full of badges, a cap with some mirrors, and even
his boots are painted with some kind of inscriptions. Then we see him
in his garden, and there is a lot of rubbish around him, and it looks
like he is actually organizing all this stuff/rubbish, making some
sculptures with it. And then, he leaves the sculpture thing and
starts to play with some metal tubes and chains, doing stunts with
it, and then he even inserts his mouth on one of the tube's
extremities, and begins saying some silly words while throwing and
rubbing those chains against the metal pipes, “...The Earth is the
Lord, and the Lord have no record… This is, everybody walks on the
earth, shits on the Earth and spits on the Earth… So, people don't
respect the Earth and the Earth calls for a revolution now....
Uauuuu! The Earth calls for justice and no more coppice; no more
dismiss, no more cornice, no more poultice. Cause the Earth releases
ganja and wants no panjaa… what she wants is ambanja asamanja
asanja azanja banja barzinja bednja belinja beramanja betanja…”
Then,
next morning, I’m already aboard
this ferry-boat heading to Holmes, Alaska mainland. And so,
as
we advance, going from inland to inland, I exchange impressions with
some other passengers on board. This
is, presently
hearing what this old fisherman have to say “But
the region's crown jewels are still the red and the blue king crabs…
I
mean, the
Red King Crab is one of the bigger crabs in the world, say…
it
can reach a carapace width up to eleven inches, and a leg span of
almost two meters, and it can weigh almost three kilos, and… “I
haven’t seen any
of
them, do they live close to the Aleutian islands?”; “No boy, its
habitat is mainly around the Kamchatka Peninsula, a peninsula
belonging to Russia… yet, the Blue King Crab can be found on
American waters, mainly around the St. Lawrence and St. Matthew
Islands, the Pribilof, and the Diomedes, located in the middle of the
Bering Strait, close to Siberia…” And then, after explaining a
bit about the Pribilof islands, Saint Paul and Saint George, he talks
about the Diomedes again “Big Diomede belongs Russia, and Little
Diomede is ours, sometimes called Tomorrow and Yesterday Islands,
because they are separated by different time zones, this is, Big
Diomede is almost a day ahead of Little Diomede, despite one being
just about two miles away from the other''. And so, while talking
about giant crabs, its habitats, its use in cosmetics, and its
symbolism, we go through the Kreditzins group of islands, Aiktak,
Avatanak, Derbin, Kaligagan Rootok, Round, Tigalda, and Ugamak, all
uninhabited. And then the inhabited ones, we make stops at False
Pass, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand point, Chignik, Port Lions, Kodiak,
Seldovia and three days after leaving Dutch Harbour we are actually
reaching Homer, Alaska mainland, where I get off, still accompanied
by the old fisherman, a crab expert, and thus, there, on the port,
waiting for him is
his son... an economic analyst of the fish industries, that,
accordingly,
takes us to the big Alaskan city of Anchorage, a kind of Mecca for
the all freaky pilgrims of America… and so, once there, as
I
wander through the illegal encampments spreading through the forests
around the city, encampments where I meet crazies of all kind, old
style hobos; hippies living on trees; dealers of quantum strategies;
creatures burned by modern technology here cooling their minds… and
some
cyclists.
This
is, people
use bicycles to move between the camps and
the city,
and so,
actually
most the
forests around
these camps are full disassembled pieces
of bicycles
and
many other
junk
related with bicycles, wheels
hanging
in the trees, etc.
And so, this here is a camp about a
mile from the industrial area. People come and go. But there are
about ten fellows that have been staying here for long, I
get to know.
And so,
I
can actually
describe
the camp as this:
a bigger communal tent in the middle, where we can stand and move
around
a
bit,
a
hearth with fire
always burning in the middle, and
in a corner, a
stove that is like a piece of art, half stick
on the earth, and metal tubes actually coming out of it, say,
connecting the stove with a bunch small tents around it. And,
here now, around this fire, I
can tell you the name of the ten main settlers. Closer
to the big
stove,
we
have Jim,
the older, already
flaunting a
white beard, and
then we have a certain Liam,
a middle age man with strange glasses, an expert in recycled
electronics. And
we have Olivia
and Emma, both latinas, Spanish speakers, but displaying
slanted eyes. And
we also have Amelia,
an old woman that doesn’t like to speak at all, people say she is a
witch. And
we have Dee
Dee, a story teller. And
Duman,
the very one interested in constructions, say,
the one that made a cabin up there
on
a tree. And
to finish, we have Ron
and Beavis, the lumberjacks, and
Mila, the
transvestite. Ron
and Beavis are the dealers here, in matter of fact. They just
interested in drugs, wood and fire. They take drugs to make fire and
make fires to take drugs, something like that, they like to say.
Actually they are always going and coming back to the city, but never
with their bikes, they always looking for rides, sometimes riding
each other. Normally they use clothes with slogans referring Punk
rock ideology, etc. Duman, the one that sleeps in a cabin up on a
tree, is from Turkish pedigree, his mother lives in Canada, he says,
and his father is in Cyprus, a Turkish/Greek inland on the
Mediterranean Sea. And,
I got
to know that
actually his name,
“Duman”,
actually
means
smoke in Turkish language, and is also the name of a certain
Turkish rock
band. And
so, Duman,
is actually
the one helping Ron and Beavis in the constructions, usually. About
Amelia, there is not much to say, coz she doesn’t speak yeah. But
people say she speaks only in private, only when you get the
opportunity of being alone with she, inside her tent. She dresses
sophisticated, garments over garments, strings around the waist,
braids falling over her shoulders. Huge earrings on the ears. Mirrors
on her palms. Yet
Dee
Dee is from California, he said,
but he have been everywhere not only in this country but also in
Europe and Asia, Africa and more, he
adds.
Now,
Olivia
and Emma have both Mexican and Alaskan roots, to say, they have both
roots in the ancient people from Mexico, the
Mayas, and the Haida from the coastline of Canada/Alaska. Plus,
I got to know that, some
famous anthropologist has compared the Haida to the Vikings, while
Haida have replied saying that Vikings are like the Haida. After so,
continuing, here there
is also
Liam, the middle aged
man with strange glasses. He is the one always solving the problems
with the solar panels, although not much sun arriving here, he have
been experimenting a new technology, making electricity from the
fire, connecting gadgets under the fireplace, and more, he have even
tried to produce electricity based on the pressure of the smoke
passing through the metal chimney in the middle of this tent. Then,
we have Jim,
the captain, the one with white beard, that
have
always a smile for any kind of ridiculous attempts from the
others.
He has been living here for more than twenty years now, he
says.
Long ago he was a seaman that became a drug addicted that became a
jailer. His family is
scattered
between two continents. But, essentially, he has no family, he
confesses. Thus,
he
is the one always telling stories about jail. This
is, just
now he is actually
asserting this story
about one of his old his jail mates, which has killed his wife and
escaped to Mexico… but
he couldn’t learn to speak Spanish, so he could not understand that
people. He just liked the women there. So, he ended up working around
the Mexico-American border, selling fake American identity papers to
the illegals. So,
“the
ones without money, he would actually
rape
them, without giving importance to whether they were men or women…”
he
says. “He
liked to hear them screaming
like pigs…” he
adds, and then “Gime
gime dinero, gime dinero señorita bonita… if
you don’t give me it,
I
will have
to
fuck
your
mamacita…oi oi oi”, he
troll. And
at this point, the Spanish speaking girls, Olivia and Emma, come
by and begin
shouting at
the old man, saying that he is
being racist and homophobic and the old man Jim just
laughs
and
laughs more
and more, and as
it goes, the
girls began throwing stuff is his direction, and
then he just starts shouting some non-sense stuff, the girls
screaming more
and more,
and as
they scream, people
are
already getting
off
their
tents,
wandering
about,
pushing here, pushing there, and
in the meanwhile arrows
are actually
being fired
from above., and
so, there I go, running away from there with a bunch of many others,
that end up teaching me the way to the main road, through
the forest and came to a road and was caught by a lorry driver that
took me to a small town named Tok. It was a nice man with long beard
and swollen
eyes, he even took me into a cottage-hotel
there, and I would
end
up sleeping in the same room as he. And
so, next
day, already
out, a
French speaking lady on a rented car gave me a ride to another town;
she tried to impress me with her knowledge of the French language,
which was actually weak. We spoke about the differences between the
French Guiana and the Guyana, two small countries in South America,
on the top of Brazil, being French Guiana part of European community,
we spoke about their cousin: blaff of fish. Awara broth. Lawyer
Fierce. Kalawang of pig. She understood about that, but when I said I
was not interested in pigs she came to a stop. The next ride was with
a group of men working in road constructions,
say,
men cleaning
apparatus
left
on the side of the road, fixing
potholes,
remarking the lines on the pavement…
by
now all
of
them using
their yellow helmets and gloves inside the van, they want to know
from where I was coming, and
when
I said Aleutian
Islands, they
wan to know which island, this while already
revealing that all of them aboard are what people call First
Nations, and
thus, accordingly, as it goes, I would get to know that
the
one
driving
is a
Yup'ik, and
the other
on
the side
is a
Inupiat,
and the thirst one
a Métis,
“people that descend from a cross between the First Nations and the
first European settlers, primarily French and Irish” he informs.
And as he says this, “traitors”,
the
Yup'ik guy on my side says, “no you're the traitor” the one
installed between the Inupiat and the driver says, and
then, “You the real traitors..” the driver says, addressing who
I’m not sure. “You know, your roots are actually Russian, you
were bought by America, and now, you're both playing on the Canuck
side, because here, it is more soft…” he utters, softly laughing.
And then, “blame our ancestors, not me”, the Inupiat guy on my
side says, and in
the meanwhile,
to break the embarrassing silence, the one between the driver and the
one on my side starts to mess with the radio, so, we get news in
English, we get news in Spanish, and then, we get news in some kind
of language they call Michif, this is, a mix of some strange sort of
french, some strange sort of English, and some indigenous talking…
“mainly from the Ojibwe and Assiniboine language, with some Plains
Cree words, a western dialect kind of Cree!” the driver explains,
and then, as we advance listening some american pop music, making
stops here and there to pick up debris left on the roadside, fill
this or that pothole, repaint tags and lines on the pavement... and
as
we
nearing the end
of the British
Columbia state,
they would put me in contact with other road workers from
Alberta, and
the ones from Alberta would put me in contact with the ones
from Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and so, in
this fashion I would cross Ontario, Quebec, Nova
Brunswick, and then reach Halifax,
the capital and most populous municipality of the Canadian
province of Nova
Scotia, located just in front of the Bedford basin, off the Atlantic
ocean, where I’m heading now.
Wednesday, November 6, 2024
ON THE ROAD - Amaknak / Halifax
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment