
I’m
now leaving Anchorage,
up
there in Alaska,
this
is, as
I
get a
lift with some caravanners,
in the meanwhile, we are already reaching Tok, a small town where the
roads divide,
say, here you can follow further north in
the direction of Fairbanks, or, continue on
east
toward the Canadian border
and
then go down in the direction of the United States territory.
And
so, because my driver
and his girlfriend actually
have the
intention of following
north, with the purpose of watching
the Northern
Lights
(Aurora
Borealis)
from
a closer angle, I descend here, at
this junction, and
so,
then,
while
wandering here
in
the front of some coffee booth that also sell Alaskan
souvenirs, say,
Ulu
knives,
native
masks,
soapstone carvings, Alaskan
totem
poles, etc…
things
primarily
created by the
Tlingit,
the
Haida,
the
Tsimshian
and
the Chugach
Sugpiaq also
refereed as Alutiiq,
that
primary
inhabitants of the Prince William Sound area and the outer Kenai
Peninsula,
I
would get a lift with some Canadian
guys
that would take me across
the Yukon territory, and further,
once on the border with the British Columbia department, I would
get several rides with with a groups
of men working in road improvement,
men cleaning
apparatus
left
on the side of the road, fixing
potholes,
remarking the lines on the pavement… and, this
is, after
some days jumping
from van to van,
helping the
man in their
road works here
and there,
somehow,
I
would
manage
to arrive in the Vancouver city, say,
a
very clean city,
actually ranked
as
one
of the
most sustainable cities
in the world… whatever
that means,
and
say, then, already on the other side of the river, the Fraser river,
while standing at some crossroad somewhere at the southern part of
the Newton neighborhood, I would get
caught by a Scottish-Italian-Irish plumber man that
while on the go would constantly
say that “Jesus was
hippie bastard” etc,
and
then, once on the border with
United States, I
would
get
another
ride
with
two sisters actually
coming
from visiting their mother in the
Vancouver
vicinities,
now
heading back to their father’s house in Seattle. And thus,
accordingly, on the go,
they
would
actually disclose
that once upon a time they also have been hitchhikers, this
is,
“Actually,
I
have hitchhiked through old Europe, France, Germany, all the Balkan
area, Greece… and, I ended up living in Turkey during some months…”
the
driver says,
and
then,
her
sister, the co-pilot with
red
hair, also
says, “I
have been to central and south America, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua,
Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, French Guiana,
Suriname and Brazil, where I spent an amazing time drifting through
the Amazonian forest…”; “me too!” I say. And so,
after a brief conversation about the Belize crime scene, we would
actually pass
Mount Vernon, Conway, and in a while we are already inside the
Seattle metropolitan area. This
is, we go through
Stanwood, Silvana, Smokey point, Everett, Martha Lake, Alderwood
Manor, Lake Forest Park, Sheridan Beach and then Lake city, a
suburban area already
on
the top of Lake Washington, and “What is now Lake City…” our
driver explain, “has
actually
been
inhabited since the end of the last glacial period by the Duwamish
tribe… and say,
even
the name Duwamish is an Anglicization of the Lushootseed name
“dxdəwabsh”,
that
means
people
of the inside…"
she
says,
before
we actually
go swimming on the lake Washington. And so,
after
leaving
them with their business,
I go through Ravenna, a middle class residential neighborhood, I
go through University
district, and then Capitol Hill, a neighborhood packed with hip bars,
eateries and gay clubs, plus laid-back coffee shops and indie stores,
that’s how they call it. And then in Downtown, I actually
reach
the Alaskan Way,
from where one
can take ferries to Kingstone, Bainbridge, Bremerton, Southworth, all
on
the other side of the Puget Sound. And in
the meanwhile, I'm
already
going
through the Greenwood Cemetery in Renton, this
is, looking
for the Jimmy Hendrix grave, and so,
as it goes, actually, by
its grave, I make a friend, say,
a
modern-day traveling salesman that would
take me to Takoma, and so,
accordingly, while
on
the go, he
would
talk
about the TSP, this is, the traveling
salesman problem,
say, "Given
a list of cities and the distances between each pair of cities, what
is the shortest possible route that visits each city exactly once and
returns to the origin city? This is an NP-hard problem in
combinatorial optimization, important in theoretical computer
science… plus, the traveling purchaser problem and the vehicle
routing problem are both generalizations of the
TSP…
and,
in the
theory of computational complexity, the decision version of the TSP,
where the L belongs to the class of NP-complete problems. Thus, it is
possible that the worst-case running time for any algorithm for the
TSP increases superpolynomially with the number of cities… so,
actually, the
TSP has several applications even in its purest formulation, such
as... planning, logistics, in
the
manufacture of microchips… and,
slightly
modified, it appears as a sub-problem in many areas, such as DNA
sequencing... and
so, in these applications, the concept city represents, for example,
customers, soldering points, or DNA fragments, and the concept
distance represents traveling times or cost, or a similarity measure
between DNA fragments… plus,
the
TSP also appears in astronomy, as astronomers observing many sources
will want to minimize the time spent moving the telescope between the
sources; in such problems, the TSP can be embedded inside an optimal
control problem… and,
in
many applications, additional constraints such as limited resources
or time windows may be imposed…”
he
says, and
then I’m in Olympia, this
is,
as
it goes
a guy selling chips actually
takes
me to Astoria, on the mouth of the Columbia river... and,
as it goes, I
walk by the pacific ocean all afternoon until it's night, and so, I’m
not hitchhiking now, I look up at the stars and I wonder if that is
Orion, or Taurus, or the Canis Major, the Canis Minor… and then,
there are some shadows twirling around the sky, perhaps inside my
head… probably, mythological monsters made of certain unfinished
assumptions, but I keep going, faster and faster, and then, in a
state of trance, forgetting everything, even who I am and where I’m
going... this is, I don’t know how much hours after, I become aware
of a great lighting behind me… and,
say, wihout looking back, I actually come to see, what looks like a
big lorry, now
slowly passing
on
my side, and then, a bit further, as
it
stops on the side of the road the passenger door straight away opens,
as if automatically… and, accordingly,
as I go for it, actually,
the
chauffeur, a man with a toad smile and muscular shoulders, already
wants
to know what I have in this plastic bag I’m taking with me, and
so,
“stones”
I say instantly, and
then, “for
what
purpose?”; he
asks, “nothing…”
I
say, “it’s
just stones I collected along the road”; “Hum Ok,
well,
and
where are you willing to go?”, “There” I say, pointing forward,
and as I do it, he glimpses from me to the road and from the road to
me with half-closed eyes, a tricky smile, and, in the meanwhile, here
he goes, “So… goten’t
any proper destination?”; “Hum… no, I just want to go south”;
“South, south, but where and why?”; “It’s that… I want to
go to the desert… that’s it!”; “Hum, the desert dream… I
don’t like desert people, but OK let’s go!” And then, as I sit
on his side I throw my smelly socks out of the window, and in the
meanwhile he puts his hand into my bag of stones and rummages through
it with no shame, this is, he even picks up a couple of them,
smiling, smirking at it, and then he throws some of them out of the
window and we take off. Further, while rolling, he asks me if I’m a
Christian, and I don't know what to answer… and so, then, he throws
a quite crumpled bible in my lap and asks to read passages from it
while he drives, and I, quiet, here I’m, looking the road, not
looking at the big book, and then, I see his hand scratching under
his seat, and from there he picks up some kind of pistol and slowly
he pull it over against one of the sides of my head while saying,
“Open it where you want… choose a page, and, start reading a text
from your choice… but, read it well, I want no babble…” And me,
seeing no chance in this matter, there I go, opening the big book,
and then "When any man from the Israel house…” I’m already
starting, “offer a burnt offering or a sacrifice and do not bring
it to the entrance of the assembly place, this same man have to be
cut off from our people…and... so, if you are proud of your God,
and you know his wills and you approve his good things as you are
verbally instructed by the law... and you are equally persuaded that
you are a guide of the blind... a light for them in the darkness...
one who corrects the unreasonable, an
instructor of the little ones... and having the structure of
knowledge and truth in the law... to you will come the very glory of
Lebanon, the juniper, the ash and the cypress…” and here, at this
point, the chauffeur is already shooting against the passing trees,
and I, making as ignoring, I just continue the reading, “so, in
order to adorn the place of your sanctuary, you will have to glorify
the place of your feet…”; “and so, you see, men ought be
declared righteous by works and not only by faith...'' the driver
says now, and then I keep reading “in the same way, wasn't also
Rahab, the harlot, declared righteous by her works... after having
received with hospitality the messengers and send them off through
another door… just as the breathless body is dead, faith without
works is also dead... and the priest will have to return on the
seventh day and see, if... the plague has spread on the walls of the
house… and stones have to be removed from that wall, carried out of
the city, and cast into an unclean place... and then, the walls will
have to be scraped on the insides…” And then, Ihe continue,
“Solomon should have forty thousand horse stalls for his chariots,
and twelve thousand horsemen, and these servants should provide food
for the king Solomon, and every one should come on his table... each
one in his month... and nothing should be missed... the offerings
plus the barley and the straw for the horses ... and the food for the
steeds… all should be brought according to his commission... and
God will continue to give Solomon wisdom and understanding to a very
great extent , as well as broadness of heart... just like the sand
that borders by the sea...” and then, as we are reaching Eureka,
the chauffeur says “Heil heil Solomon! Heil heil Rahab the harlot!
Hail hail the horses and the steeds of Solomon… we will make a stop
here, I will pay you the lunch my boy coz I very much have enjoyed
your reading!” And so, once at the restaurant, the driver goes and
installs himself on the bar, side by side with other lorry drivers,
and I can hear, they are actually sharing their stories about the
road, about certain kind of creatures wandering through the highway,
about this or that traffic inspection, and as they talk they drink
big cups of beer and laugh at stupid jokes about the Solomon’s
wives, and then, I leave them and install myself in another room, a
room where there is no people, just a TV talking to the walls, and
here I’m, look at the screen without really paying attention to the
content, thinking about something, and then, at some point, a guy in
a blue suit with a bow on his nick appears swinging on the screen,
from one to the other side, while on his back there are huge images
of the brain blinking, and then, he starts a speech that goes more
and less like this “Human beings have an autonomic nervous system
that is actually comprised of three separate subsystems… the
parasympathetic nervous system, the sympathetic nervous system and
the enteric nervous system… The enteric nervous system has been
described as a kind of second brain, which communicates with the
central nervous system through the parasympathetic… via the vagus
nerve and sympathetic nervous systems. However, vertebrate studies
show that when the vagus nerve is severed, the enteric system
continues to function… and so, we now know that the enteric system
is not just capable of autonomy but also influences the brain… In
fact, about ninety per cent of the signals passing along the vagus
nerve come not from above, but from the enteric system… and that is
why many consider it as a backup brain centered in our
solar plexus… this is, our gut instincts are not fantasies but real
nervous signals that guide much of our lives...” and while I hear
this assumptions coming from the TV set I’m also aware that there
is a big mess on my back, one the other room, the truck drivers laugh
and yell because of something I'm not interested to know, and so, I
turn back my attention to the screen, again, and it continues like
this, “It is our vagus nerve that provides the gateway between the
two parts of the autonomic systems.... thus, the vagus nerve acts as
a bio-informational data bus that routes impulses going in two
directions… and, since the vagus nerve acts as the central
switchboard it should be understood that, impaired functioning of
this nerve can lead to many kind of different problems…. like, for
example, some neurological diseases actually come up from the guts
spreading to the brain via the vagus nerve… and… “It's
scientific, it's scientific” loudly says the bartender on the other
side, “You all can see the truth now… the shit, yes, THE SHIT you
have in your bowls will produce some part of your thinking, yes-yes,
think about this ladies and gentleman's…” and then, a whole
conversation about shit comes up in the restaurant, from all
directions. But, I ignore it, and then, I put my attention on the
screen again, this is, the guy in the bow tie and blue suit keeps
going like this… “The vagus nerve is the commander-in-chief when
it comes to having grace under pressure… Plus, we can say, that,
the autonomic nervous system is composed of two polar opposite
systems that create a complementary tug-of-war which allows our body
to maintain homeostasis inner-stability... this is, the sympathetic
nervous system is geared to rev you up like the gas pedal in an
automobile… it thrives on adrenaline and cortisol and is part of
the fight-or-flight response… and, the parasympathetic nervous
system is the polar opposite. This is, the vagus nerve is the command
central for the function of your parasympathetic nervous system…
and so, this is, the vagus nerve reflexive responses can backfire and
turn it from comrade into saboteur… and so, that’s why the vagus
nerve is known as the wandering nerve, because it has multiple
branches that diverge from two thick stems rooted in the cerebellum
and brain-stem that wander to the lowest viscera of our abdomen…
touching our hearts and most major organs along the way. It meanders
all the way down, into the belly, spreading fibers to the tongue,
pharynx, vocal chords, lungs, heart, stomach, intestines and glands
that produce anti-stress enzymes and hormones like Acetylcholine,
Prolactin, Vasopressin, Oxytocin... influencing digestion, metabolism
and the relaxation response… so, the vagus nerve uses the
neurotransmitter, acetylcholine… and if our brain cannot
communicate with our diaphragm via the release of acetylcholine from
the vagus nerve then you will stop breathing” and at this point the
face of the presenter is getting red, like if he was choking with his
own assumptions. And then, he keeps going, stuttering a bit, “Botox
is a toxic substance that has the power to damage the nervous system
and shut down the vagus causing death… and, it's interesting to
note that... the heavy metal mercury blocks the action of
acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter that passes the nerve impulse
from the vagus nerve to the heart muscle… Both acetylcholine and
the nerve receptors in the heart muscle contain thiol proteins… and
so, when mercury attaches to the thiol protein in the heart muscle
receptors and in the acetylcholine, the heart muscle cannot receive
the vagus nerve electrical impulse for contraction… and the result
is… Mercury accumulates in the heart muscle and heart valves,
causing damage by attaching to thiol proteins. So, now we can
say, that, the frequently observed rocking and swinging
behaviors in autistic individuals may reflect a naturally
occurring bio-behavioral strategy to stimulate and regulate a
vagal system that is not efficiently functioning… And so, they
told me to say that, nowadays, people have been highly contaminated
with mercury used in dental amalgam which dentists routinely place
only inches from the brain… Moreover, plus than three thousand tons
of mercury are put into the atmosphere each year contaminating the
entire biosphere of our planet, but the government, nonsensically,
seems to worry more about CO2 emissions from coal-fired smokestacks
instead of the huge amount of neurotoxic mercury in the atmosphere…”
and at this point, in the screens placed on the back of this blue
suit guy, a disturbing red sky comes up, and there are false teeth
dangling amid all this red sky, and then the blue suit guy disappears
in the middle of all it, and then, some publicity about toothpaste
follows. Thus, I leave this room and there I go, now wandering
through the gambling area, still thinking about this vagus nervous
thing, which, they say, may be affecting the connection of the heart
with the brain and triggering indolence and autism… and then, I go
through the gambling room, where all the truck drivers are installed
now, still talking about shit, and me, now covering and uncovering
the mouth with the palm of my hand, making this sound like the
Indians do in westerns movies, and so, as I advance doing it, they
keep tell me to shut up, but I don’t stop, and so, in a jiffy, some
of them are already coming after me, and thus, to defend myself, I
even have to do some acrobatic steps, an improvisational thing, and
then,
there I go,
jumping
through an opened window, soon
landing
on solid ground, and
on the following, already advancing
through the parking area where dozens of trucks are
parked,
and, as
I
keep wondering in the middle of them, looking for a way out, I’m
actually being
chased by rabid dogs, and say,
in the meanwhile, I
actually
manage
to mount on the sidecar of an old Harley Davidson motorcycle and
there we go, leaving
this area now...
there
we go in
the direction of San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles... And
thus,
while
advancing by the pacific ocean, at
some point, I
would
actually get
another ride with some
kind of a history
teacher on-the-run that keeps
saying things like this,
“The big problem of America nowadays is that…
today’s master discourse is completely trivialized, desecrated,
say,
on
equal footing with the media that all
the time nothing more does than, ridiculing
society through hypocritical hyperbole…” and again,
“the problem of America today is…” he says again and again, and
then, after
passing the border, I actually would continue on foot, following on
the side of
the motorway, and
then, after going
through an inhospitable valley, actually,
I would come to pass
some mounds of heavy rubbish with
some fig trees around, and then, on
the side of it, I
even manage to enter some illuminated caves... and, thus,
as
I get inside, actually,
I
come
to
find the illuminated statues of Santa Morte, the
Virgin
of
Guadalupe
and San Judas Thaddeus. And then, already
out again, while going through another
valley, by
this time I
come
to
catch sight of a man walking in the middle of the shrubs, this is,
there
he goes, a
small man with a tray on his head… and
without knowing why, there
I go too,
already
advancing
after him, but keeping some
distance, coz, I don’t want to
be seen.
Thus,
as
it goes, after
a while we are already arriving at the suburbs of Tijuana. And then,
while walking on the beach, I actually
get
flanked by a series of guys pulling carts full of wood, and so,
as
they keep
getting
closer and closer, one of them is already telling me, ““Ven-ven
con nosotros Señor, ven
a tirar
tus
moneda
al fuego y leeremos tu destino…” one
of the says, and
there we go.
No comments:
Post a Comment