Sunday, November 30, 2025

HITHHIKING diaries - Astoria/Eureka


 I'm leaving Astoria now, walking along the New Young’s Bay Bridge, feeling the shaking each time a lorry passes by, and also, continually being honked, coz, apparently, it's forbidden to walk on this bridge, anyway, I do not care about that, I just keep advancing by the guardrail, staring at the sky, staring at my feet, staring at the flow down there, some barges actually moving through, mainly downstream, approaching the outflow of the Columbia river, a river actually coming from the northern Canadien lands, I got to know... and then, once a I make it to Warrenton, just on the other side of this bay, I keep moving in the direction of the sea, actually walking along the so-called Delaura Beach road, a road surrounded by some green pines, some salal, some huckleberries, and then, once I make it to the beach, there I go, washing my feet, collecting some stones, some shells, and, as it goes, once I hit the Sunset Beach State Recreation Site, I'm actually coming back to the main road again, say, the US101 highway, and thus, as I keep walking by its main course, there I go, showing my thumb, or, just waving it around without really looking back, and so, in this fashion I walk for a while, eventually getting a ride with some surf guy that actually ends up dropping me just by the entrance of the Cannon Beach town, a touristic place, and then, once I pass the last Cannon beach mansions, I'm actually getting a new ride, this time in a van with some local guy that, accordingly, takes me Manzanita, a small town located on the northern shores of the Nehalem Bay... and so, eventually, I get lost while following the trails around this bay, and then, when I manage to come back to the main road, it's already night, and so, I'm not hitchhiking now, say, I'm just walking by the road, making some figures from time to time, like, flapping wings, wriggling, or just, looking up at the stars... wondering if that is Orion, or Taurus, the Canis Major, or the Canis Minor... and then, I don’t know how much time after, deep in the night, there's actually a big flashing on my back, and so, in the meanwhile, as the thing passes by on my side, even honking several times, then it comes to a stop a bit further. And, well, as it stops, the passenger door is promptly opened, as if automatically, and, accordingly, there I go, already approaching the thing, but, with no rush, just walking on my rhythm, and so, when I'm in fact reaching the front cabin of the big rig, “hellow hellow”, I'm already hearing, even before I see anything, this because the voice is coming from up, not from the door level, and so, just then, when I actually turn my head left and up, I'm actually spotting this character mounting up there in front of the big wheel, staring at me now, say, a man with some kind of a toad smile and muscular shoulders, now bouncing his head up and down while actually staring at me, and, “allowa-allowa, all good?”; I say, as a way to break the ice, and he, “all good... heading south yes!?; “yes-yes” I say; “south is good, but, need to know more about it... I can actually take you further if you give me the trust...”; “oh really, what you want to know?”; “simple things, like, who are you and where you really wanna go...”; “oh, my name is Shem, and, I'm not from this country, that's why I'm traveling around, say, I wanna reach the California state and then, will probably head to the desert...”; “oh, that's explicit, but, can you for example show me the content inside your backpack, you know, just for precaution... one must take care when picking strangers from the roadside nowadays...” he says, and thus, “Can I come up'”; “go for it!” he promptly answers. Therefore, after climbing up, straight away I open the top of my backpack and invite him to look inside... but, instead, “just dump the stuff here... if it's ok for you...!” he says, while actually waving at the free seat on his side, and I, well, without thinking too much, there I go, already turning the big bag upside down, pulling a handful of things out, mainly clothes, and, as the stuff falls on the seat, he actually shows me some kind of tricky smile that, I do not know how to interpret, even so, then, there he goes, actually rummaging through this bundle of clothes where he actually comes to find some gadgets, some stones, some shells, and well, as he's actually staring closer at some of this shells, “Can I keep some?” he asks, and, “sure thing!” I'm promptly answering, thus, after actually throwing some of those stones and shells over the dashboard by the windshield, he's already saying, “this clothes are not quite smelling good ma man, just take that back inside your backpack and all will be ok... let's go...” And so, said and done, with the vehicle's engine already rumbling, we take off. And further, after recounting a bit about some of the characters he has actually been giving ride through the times... we make some silence, say, by now he's just driving while actually playing with some kind of beaded necklace, and me, here I stay, constantly closing and opening my eyes, as I'm getting in that mood... even so, in those time intervals between the opening and closing of the eyelashes, I become aware that at this point, he's actually rummaging under his seat, picking something from there, something that in the meanwhile is already landing on my lap, and say, as some lights are actually being turned on inside this cab, now I see, this fat book with a totally black cover here standing in between my legs, and well, as I touch it, our driver is already asking me to read some passages from it, “aleatorically”, he says... and me, I, in this moment, as I'm actually looking from his face to the big book, and from the big book to the road, in the meanwhile, I even see him actually touching the holster of what may be some kind of pistol, a holster in fact standing just on the side of one of the shift levers, and well, as I look at that holster, “...choose a page and start reading a text of your choice...”, he's already saying, “but, read it well, you understand!? I want no babble...” he adds. And so, taking that holster as granted, here I'm, already opening the big book, leafing through it, and, "When any man from the Israel house...” I'm already reading, “offer a burnt offering or a sacrifice... and do not bring it to the entrance of the assembly place...” I keep reading “this same man have to be cut off from our people... and, if you are proud of your God, if you know his wills and you approve his good things as you are verbally instructed by the law... and, if you are equally persuaded that you are a guide for the blind... a light to them in the darkness... one who corrects the unreasonable, an instructor of the little ones... and having the structure of knowledge and truth in the law... to you will come the very glory of Lebanon, the juniper, the ash and the cypress...” and here, at this point, the chauffeur is already shooting that gun against the passing trees, and I, making as ignoring, I just continue the reading, “so, in order to adorn the place of your sanctuary, you will have to glorify what is under your feet...”; thus, “you see,” our driver says now, “men ought be declared righteous by works and not only by faith...'' and then, I just keep reading “in the same way, wasn't also Rahab, the harlot, declared righteous by her works... after having received with hospitality the messengers sending them off through another door... just as the breathless body is dead, faith without works is also dead... and the priest will have to return on the seventh day and see, if... the plague has spread on the walls of the house... eventually, stones have to be removed from that wall and carried out of the city, in order to be cast away into an unclean place... and Solomon should have one thousand horses and ten thousand horsemen and horsewomen... and these servants should provide everything for the king Solomon, and nothing should be missed… the offerings plus the barley and the straw for the horses... all should be brought according to their commission... and God will continue to give Solomon wisdom and understanding to a very great extent, as well as broadness of heart... just like the sand that borders by the sea...” I read, and then, after a couple of hours more reading thing like this, as we are eventually reaching the neighborhoods of Eureka, the chauffeur says “Heil heil heil Solomon! We will make a stop here, I will pay you the lunch my boy coz I very much have been enjoying your readings!” And so, once at the restaurant, the driver goes and installs himself on the bar, just side by side with other lorry drivers, and there they stay, leaning against the counter, some looking at their phones, others sharing some short stories about the road, about women, about this or that car accident, about creatures wandering through this or that highway disturbing the drivers, about this particular lorry failure, about this or that traffic inspection, and as they talk about these things, they are actually drinking big glasses of beer and then, even laughing at stupid jokes about the wives of Solomon, and well, as I hear all that, here I'm, installed at the opposite corner table, supposedly staring at some TV screen down there, the screen actually displaying a continuous shaking of flopping bars and burning dots, but then, when the waiter comes by, actually a fat woman with a fluff, and asks what I want to eat, instantly, “bring me some pudding”, I say, and well, “but which kind of pudding?” she asks; “it doesn’t matter the sort, any pudding, big If possible...”; “hum, and, any drinks?”; she asks, “no, no drinks.” I say, and well, as she actually leaves, bouncing her fat buttocks, a guy in a blue suit with a small bow on his neck is actually appearing swinging on the screen, say, swinging in front of all that dots and passing bars, and in a while, distorted images of huge brains are actually appearing around the man, and then, there he goes, already starting some kind of speech about... “Human beings have an autonomic nervous system that is actually comprised of three separate subsystems...” he says with a stupid smile, “the parasympathetic nervous system, the sympathetic nervous system and the enteric nervous system...” he keeps saying, now being hit by all that distorted images of bumping brains, and then continuing like this, “the enteric nervous system has been described as some kind of second brain, which communicates with the central nervous system through the parasympathetic via the vagus nerve and sympathetic nervous systems...” and then, “however, vertebrate studies show that when the vagus nerve is severed, the enteric system continues to function... and so, we now know that the enteric system is not just capable of autonomy but also influences the brain... In fact, about ninety per cent of the signals passing along the vagus nerve come not from above, but from the enteric system... and that is why many consider it as a backup brain centered in our solar plexus... this is, our gut instincts are not fantasies but real nervous signals that guide much of our lives...” and while I hear this assumptions coming from the TV set I’m also aware that there is a big mess on my back, there in the opposite corner of the salon, the truck drivers laugh and yell because of something I'm not interested to know, and so, as I turn back my attention to the big screen, it continues like this, “this, it is our vagus nerve that provides the gateway between the two parts of the autonomic systems.... thus, the vagus nerve actually acts as a bio-informational data bus that routes impulses going in two directions... and, since the vagus nerve acts as the central switchboard it should be understood that, impaired functioning on this nerve can also lead to many kind of different problems.... like, for example, some neurological diseases actually come up from that guts spreading to the brain via the vagus nerve... and” in the meanwhile, “you see, you see...” one of the truck drivers is actually shouting down there on the opposite corner, “you see, it's scientifically proven now... yes, the SHIT you may have in your bowls will produce some part of your thinking, yes-yes, think about this ladies and gents...” and so, as he actually shouts this things, a whole conversation about shit is actually coming up in the restaurant, all around. But, I just ignore it, again turning my attention to the big screen, this is, to that blinking blue guy with that peculiar bow on his neck, now saying, “actually, the autonomic nervous system is composed of two polar opposite systems that create a complementary tug-of-war which allows our body to maintain homeostasis inner-stability... this is, the sympathetic nervous system is geared to rev you up like the gas pedal in an automobile... it thrives on adrenaline and cortisol and is part of the fight-or-flight response… and, the parasympathetic nervous system is the polar opposite... this is, the vagus nerve is the command central for the function of your parasympathetic nervous system... and so, the vagus nerve reflexive responses can backfire and turn it from comrade into saboteur... therefore, that’s why the vagus nerve is known as the wandering nerve, because, it has multiple branches that diverge from two thick stems rooted in the cerebellum and brain-stem that wander to the lowest viscera of our abdomen... touching our hearts and most major organs along the way... it meanders all the way down, into the belly, spreading fibers to the tongue, pharynx, vocal chords, lungs, heart, stomach, intestines and glands that produce anti-stress enzymes and hormones like Acetylcholine, Prolactin, Vasopressin, Oxytocin... influencing digestion, metabolism and the relaxation response... so, the vagus nerve uses the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine… and if our brain cannot communicate with our diaphragm via the release of acetylcholine from the vagus nerve then you will stop breathing” and as he says that, now, at this point, the face of the little man is actually getting red, like, choking with his own assumptions. And then, he just keeps going, now stuttering a bit while saying, “Botox is a toxic substance that has the power to damage the nervous system and shut down the vagus causing death... and, it's interesting to note that... the heavy metal mercury blocks the action of acetylcholine, say, the neurotransmitter that passes the nerve impulse from the vagus nerve to the heart muscle... and, both acetylcholine and the nerve receptors in the heart muscle contain thiol proteins... and so, when mercury attaches to the thiol protein in the heart muscle receptors and in the acetylcholine, the heart muscle cannot receive the vagus nerve electrical impulse for contraction... and the result is that... mercury actually accumulates in the heart muscle and heart valves, causing damage by attaching to thiol proteins. And so, now we can say, that, the frequently observed rocking and swinging behaviors in autistic individuals may reflect a naturally occurring bio-behavioral strategy to stimulate and regulate a vagal system that is not efficiently functioning... and so, I may also say that, nowadays, people have been highly contaminated with the mercury used in dental amalgam which dentists routinely place only inches from the brain...and, say, more than three thousand tons of mercury are actually put into the atmosphere each year contaminating the entire biosphere of our planet, but the government and the people, nonsensically, seems to always worry more about CO2 emissions than about the huge amount of neurotoxic mercury actually present in our atmosphere...” he says, with a distorted mouth, and, as he actually says that, the screens turns into a disturbing reddish sky with a lot of dentures actually dangling all around, and then, some publicity about toothpaste follows. Thus, I leave it now, and instantly, there I go, through the gambling area, where all the truck drivers are actually installed now, still talking about the vagus nerve, the vagus mind, while playing on that stupid machines, and me, well, as I go through, I'm actually covering and uncovering the mouth with the palm of my hands, making this sound like the Indians used do in the westerns movies, and so, as I advance doing it, they keep tell me to shut up, but I don’t stop, I keep turning around the flipper machines doing that sounds, and, as it goes, at some point, some of them are already coming to me, trying to block my way, and, say, in order to defend myself, I even have to do some acrobatic steps, some skidding, and so, in the meanwhile, there I go, already jumping through one of the big windows, now running through the parking lot, in between the many trucks, and while I run, I'm actually being chased by a bunch of street dogs, shiny street dogs actually displaying a continuous effervescence of burning dots, and then, as I reach the shores of Arcata Bay, the bay actually standing on the northern banks of Eureka town, I just jump into these waters...

No comments:

Post a Comment