I
arrived in Amazonia coming from the Darié jungle, a strait of land
that separates Central America from South America, let's say, so, the
thing is, there are no proper roads in this area, only some muddy
paths, paths generally taken mainly by illegal migrants coming from
the south with the goal of reaching Mexico and then the United
States, and they are mainly, Haitians, and other Caribbeans,
Colombians, Venezuelans and even Africans that manage to fly from
Africa to Brazil, and then come up, cross all Amazonia, Colombia and
pay to locals that guide them through the Darien jungle. And so, here
we go, advancing in the opposite direction of them and while we
advance we hear some stories they tell us… people coming from
Senegal, Guinea, Sierra Leone, etc. Most of them said good things
about Brazil, their host country, but now, here, the Darié jungle is
a different thing, rapes and robberies are common, and a broken leg
can be fatal. Law enforcement is non-existent, and the weather is
very rainy, with frequent flash floods. I got to know the names. This
is, on the Colombian side there is the big delta of the Atrato River,
which creates a long flat marshland and the Serranía del Baudó, a
mountain range that extends along Colombia's Pacific coast into
Panama and is home to the Embera-Wounaan and Guna people with whom I
became acquainted… and through my approaches, I learned that some
of the Guna people have a high incidence rate of albinism, which led
to their nickname of "White Indians'' between the surrounded
villagers, but In Guna philosophy, the albinistic people, or "sipu",
as they say, is given a special place in their society hierarchy, and
so, they are considered specials. As they told me, they have the
specific duty of defending the moon against a dragon which tries to
eat it on occasion during a lunar eclipse, and so, only they are
allowed to go outside on the night of a lunar eclipse and to use
specially made bows and arrows to shoot down the dragon trying to eat
the moon… Then, it was the Guna people that put me in contact with
other tribes that occupy the northern areas of Colombia, like the
Wayuu and Zenú, which in turn put me in contact with the Yanomami,
who live mainly on the border area between Venezuela and Brazil. The
Yanomami people practice ritual endocannibalism, in which they
consume the bones of deceased kinsmen. The body is wrapped in leaves
and placed in the forest some distance from their villages;
then after insects have consumed the soft tissue, the bones are
collected and cremated. The ashes are then mixed with a kind of soup
made from bananas, which is consumed by the entire community. The
ashes may be preserved in a gourd and the ritual repeated annually
until the ashes are gone. In daily conversation, no reference may be
made to a dead person except on the annual "day of remembrance",
when the ashes of the dead are consumed and people recall the lives
of their deceased relatives. This tradition also exists among other
tribes, on the Brazilian side. In the mornings, while the men are off
hunting, the women and young children go off in search of termite
nests and other grubs, which will later be roasted at the family
hearths. The women also pursue frogs, terrestrial crabs, or
caterpillars, or even look for vines that can be woven into baskets.
While some women gather these small sources of food, others go off
and fish for several hours during the day. The women also prepare
cassava, shredding the roots and expressing the toxic juice, then
roasting the flour to make flat cakes, which they cook over a small
pile of coals. Well, it was took a hallucinating trip that took me
through the meandering channels of the Rio Negro “Black River”,
that flows from north Brazil until the city of Manaus, where it mixed
with the Amazon river, properly saying. Then, from Manaus I took
several buses to Lindó, Bom Jesus, and Itapiranga, a villa on the
north bank of the Urubu river, and from there I had to follow through
the water again. The Urubu river led us to the Uatumã River, and the
Uatumã River led us to the Amazon river properly saying. Then I got
in a bigger vessel, with some tourists. We passed Lago Comprido, Lago
do Limão, Lago Moratinga, the Madabá Lake, the Acará Mirim lake,
the Bom Jesus, the Balaio, and then the Lagoa Paru. Plus, along the
river we visited some villages with mixed people, indians and
brazilians, like Porto Alegre, Bom Futuro, Nova Vista, Aqui Perto,
São Lázaro and then we got to Santarem, a city properly saying,
with about three hundred thousand people of population. From this
city I took the road again, direction south, I went to Leitoso, and
from Leitoso to Marabá, then I entered the state of Maranhão, and
finally I arrived at Salvador (the one that saves), originally called
São Salvador da Bahia de Todos os Santos (the great savior of all
saints’ bay), the capital of the Bahia state, a city with the
largest number of African descendants in the world, mostly of Yoruba
origin, it says in wikipedia. So, I went to the beach, on the
Atlantic sea again, crossed the “All the Saints” bay and arrived
at Itaparica island, where I stayed living for some days, in a kind
surf community, where I also learned some Capoeira moves. Then I hit
the road again, heading south. First I got a ride with a guy from São
Paulo,
he came to visit family here, and so, as mote for conversation, he
asks me what kind of Brazilian things are famous outside Brazil, and
straightway I tell him “the hips from Brazilian women, Carnival and
the Brazilian heavy metal band Sepultura”, and by its turn, he tell
me that, he was also a fan of of this band “but just until the
album Roots,
then they exchanged the vocalist, Max left and a new American guy
came to be the front man of the band, and I didn't like him, and
still don’t like… for me, he looks more a pugilist than a
musician… and since he got in the band there
was
big ruptures between the fans of the band…” And so, I tell him
that I’m a big fan of the album Roots as well, plus, I avow that I
very much appreciate this crossover of heavy-metal sound with the
Brazilian rhythms that are evident in some tracks of the “roots”
album, and then I remember “What about this tribe that participated
in one of the tracks from the album… are they from Amazonia? If
yes, it's possible that I have just crossed paths with them, coz I’m
coming from there… I mean, from Amazonia…”; “No, no, they are
not from Amazonia, the Xavante tribe are from east Brazil, from Mato
Grosso, the interior… not only the Amazon has Indian blood…” he
says. And then he explains to me that the expression “Mato Grosso”
actually means “thick bushes” and we exchange smiles about that.
And, as it goes, we then speak about other bands that cross heavy
metal with folk music, the folk-metal genre. He refers to “Mago de
Oz”, a spanish band with some sort of Celtic influences, and other
northern european bands that mix viking music with heavy metal, and I
say that “I’m not a big fan of celtic or viking music but… I
used to listen to the american death metal band Nile, a band with an
Egyptian imaginarium, mainly in the lyrics…” And then we start to
speak about soap operas, another thing that Brazil exports to the
world, I say that last time I was in Turkey they were watching a
Brazilian soap opera in the prime-time, and he says that “here is
also happening the same… we are importing a lot of Turkish soap
operas in the recent times, they are getting popular here… it looks
like the Turkish are so or more dramatic as us, that's why this is
phenomenon is happening… I guess”, and I ask him if he is
following any of these soap-operas and he says. “Yes, I watched a
bit of Kurt Seyit ve Shura, just to understand about it… it’s
about the adventures of two people in love who are forced to leave
their lives and family behind and escape, more precisely, it’s
about the journey of Kurt, a handsome lieutenant from Crimea, and
Shura, the beautiful daughter of a noble Russian family, and it shows
the days of magnificence in Petrograd-Russia, and then the occupied
Istanbul, during the war time, it's a very dramatic thing,” he says
and then “but, have you been to Turkey?” he asks. “Yes!” I
say, “a couple of times… I wanted to go to the middle-east, to
see the Arab countries, but it happened that I got stuck in Turkey”
I say, “and just then I understood, Turkey is not an Arab country
at all, rather the opposite, nowadays the young Turks hate Arabs” I
say. And then “Beside Turkey, where have you been more?” he asks.
“Well, I have been to a lot of countries…” I say, “But
where?” he insists. “Well, I have been to almost all European
countries, minus the Nordics… I have been to Syria before the war,
Egypt, Iran, India, Indonesia and also some countries in Africa…”;
“And South America, only Brazil?”; “No” I say “As I was
telling you, before Amazonia I have been to Colombia, Panama and
other Central American countries…” And then we start a
conversation about the Central American countries and Mexico and the
United States… And when we got close to the state of Minas
Gerais, the man arrived at his destination and I just got another
ride, this time with a middle aged guy, wearing a tie, his face more
swarthy than the previous one. We started to talk about international
politics, and then, just to contradict, I said “So, Lula is in
power again!”; “Yes, indeed!”; “Directly from the jail to the
power… hum”; “Yes, this is Brazil… but, by the way, do you
know what the word Lula means?” he asks. “No idea… isn't it
just a name?”; “No, it's not just a name”, he says, “Lula”
actually means squid, yes that tubular thing from under the seas,
ahah”. “Oh, is it!?”; “yes, but his real name is Luiz Inácio
Lula da Silva” he says, and then begins to explain me his
biography… and so, I let him talk…“Lula began his career as a
metalworker when he was still a teenager, and later he would become a
trade unionist… So, during the military dictatorship in Brazil, he
led major workers' strikes, and helped start the Workers' Party
during 80’s… his first presidency was marked by the consolidation
of social welfare programs such as Bolsa Família and Fome Zero,
which propelled Brazil to leave the United Nations' Hunger Map… so,
during his two terms in office, he undertook radical reforms
in the country, which eventually led to growth in GDP, reduction in
public debt and inflation, and helping twenty million Brazilians
escape poverty… Poverty, inequality, illiteracy, unemployment,
infant mortality, and child labor rates fell significantly, while the
minimum wage and average income increased, and access to school,
university, and health care was expanded… he also played a
prominent role in foreign policy, both on a regional level and as
part of global trade and environmental negotiations... so Lula is
considered one of the most popular politicians in the history of
Brazil, but, despite its popularity, his first term was marked by
notable scandals, such as the Mensalão
scandal
and the
Sanguessugas scandal,
also known as the “Mafia das Ambulancias!”; “oh, Ambulances
Mafia, funny, what was that about?” I ask. “That was, actually, a
corruption scandal based on the discovery of a gang, were Lula was
involved, whose objective was to divert public money intended for the
purchase of ambulances...”; “ahah, funny” I say, “What about
his last imprisonment and subsequent release!?”; “That is a big
story, but to cut it short, it was more and less like this… Lula
was convicted on charges of money laundering and corruption in a
controversial trial that was later nullified by the Supreme Court
Justices, due to the court lacking proper jurisdiction over the case…
and, before the annulment of his cases, Lula was actually sentenced
to nine and a half years in prison, and after an unsuccessful appeal,
was arrested and spent almost two years detained... until that, the
Supreme Court ruled that the federal judge presiding over the case,
Sergio Moro, who served as Minister of Justice and Public Security in
the presidency of Jair
Bolsonaro,
was biased,
and
all of the cases Moro had brought against Lula were actually
annulled… then, following the court ruling, Lula was legally
allowed to make another run for president, defeating
Bolsonaro
in the runoff and would became the first Brazilian president to have
been elected to a third term, and the first to have defeated an
incumbent president in an election…”; “oh, but, I can’t still
understand what he was accused of!”; “it’s difficult to
explain… say, it all started with an accusation referring to the
concealment of ownership of a triplex penthouse in
Guarujá,
on the coast of São Paulo, received as a bribe in exchange for
favors at Petrobras,
the main petroleum industry in this country… and then a series of
minor cases linked to passive corruption and money laundering would
follow… cases without conclusive evidence, that later, would be
taken to international court… more precisely to the United Nations
Human Rights Committee, that would consider his arrest illegal…
and then, a long ideological struggle would ensue between the
international court and the national government until his release…”;
and, as he actually finish to say those things, some silence would
follow… until my intervention, “What about Dilma Rousseff?”; “I
don't like her…” he would say, and then, I would actually be
damped somewhere in the suburb of a small town in the middle of
Espirito Santo state… and so, now, as I walk along some secondary
road with a few warehouses and small patchs of forests I'm actually
listening some kind of bird singing, some kind of owl but now it,
probably the so-called night-jar,
sometimes called goat-sucker, due to an ancient folk tale saying that
this kind of birds used to suck the milk from goats during the night
and so, that was a warning… a warning for something that would
happen with me later that night… thus, as I walk, some car would
actually stop in the middle of the nowhere, a car with a few guys
inside... this is, thinking that I was a gringo, say, American, they
would give me a ride and try to steal on the way, but, I had nothing
valuable to steal, so, they would actually take me to the beach
and... try to suck me, to rape me, but... they were actually
ineffective in their efforts… this is, I managed to escape, I would
run along the beach, and, eventually, on the going, I would somehow
reach some kind of yamanja ceremony, and well, I participated on it
and then I would run away from it… this is, when I came back to the
road it was already morning … and so, this time l wouldn't go with
anyone, coz, now, I wanted to choose the driver that would take me,
and not be chosen, thus, I would hide myself in the middle of the
bushes in a roundabout, and there I would wait during some time...
until that… meandering in the middle of the road, a brand new Jeep
would finally approach, this is, as it comes,
popish-electronic-dance-music is actually blasting from the insides,
and well, on the approach, I can already understand something like “O
qui é qui ééééé… esse amor dá-água… deve sentir muito…
o que que ééééé… esse amor dá-água... deve sentir muito…
underwater love... underwater love…”, this is, actually a song
from Smoke City, I mean, a trip hop band I actually know from places,
I mean, a band actually mixing electronic music with homy styles such
as samba and bossa nova, and so, as the car turns around the
roundabout, it would continue like “O qui-é qui ééééé… esse
amor dá-água… deve sentir muito… aiiii... “O qui-é qui
ééééé… underwater love… so deep... aiiiiii… underwater
love… aiiiiii… so deep… esse amor com muita paixão… aiiiiii”
and, at some point, from the back of the bushes I would finally get
out, this is, here I go, at this point already appearing in the
middle of the road with my arms turned up, and, well, as the car
brakes, inside, eventually I would see two young females with freaky
hair wobbling in the air and bulgy eyes now getting lost, this is, as
the car stops, almost on the ditch, straight away the back door
opens, as if automatically, and, on my I approach I'm actually
receiving grumpy bidding to get in. And so, after a couple of
“sorryies”, once inside, the girls are actually unleashing their
anger on me, and then, as the music comes back, here we go, already
hitting the road again, this is, after a few questions, a few
suppositions, the driver, this is, the one with red hair and a
slender face, just says “never-mind it OK, we are also fugitives
like you OK, I mean, we just stole this car from my parents, and…
quer dizer, we are actually on the going to the big city...” she
says, while the other on the side also says something, I mean,
actually something in Portuguese language that I can't really
understand, and so, as the sound from the stereo comes back, here
they go, making their head and shoulders shake, this is, now, we are
actually listening to some jungle, some drum n’ bass music… this
is, british styles of music... and so, in the meanwhile, the other
girl, I mean, the one with bluish hair and a more chubby face, is
already asking me, now in some kind of broken english, “But... if
you no brazil, ueare you, and, uere you go?”; “well, from uhere
I'm from... I'm not sure” I say, “but, my name is Shima, they
say, and actually, I just came from Amazonia, this is, I was there
living with the natives and stuff…”; “oh, you really mean it?”
the driver kinda asks, “yes, I mean it!”; “Don't you tell me
that you, also got tired of that kind of monkey life and, you are
also on the move to the city!?”; “Yes, I'm telling you that, it's
actually something like that, yes…'' I say, and so, both of the
girls softly laugh on this one and then... the driver speaks again,
“My name is actually Mila and I don't like boys Ok, but, it looks
that my inner-self is actually accepting you…” she says. And
then, the other one, say, the one with blueish hair, also advances
like this “My name is actually Daphne, and, but, I have nothing to
do with Greek mythology OK!”; “Okkkkkkkkk!” I just say and
then, “but, are you sisters?” I manage to ask. “Yes, Criminal
sisters” the driver actually says while turning up the music volume
again. And so now, I even have to grab myself on the back o the front
seat coz Mila's driving style is turning uooouuuh. And so, at this
point, Daphne begins to speak louder, again in portuguese, and then,
it's Mila's time, again, probably making the translation “But,
what's this story about Amazonia, where have you been before that?”;
“Oh, I'm not sure, my memory is actually fucked up, something is
missing… that's why I'm on the road, I mean, I do not know who I'm
and from where I'm actually from! I mean, I have been to countries I
no longer remember, but, I still can recall that, the time I spent in
Amazonia was actually wonderful, thinking about that now, it looks
like that was ages ago, but, in truth, it was just some days ago, I
guess… “What?” says Daphne, and then, “so, just tell us where
have you have been in Amazonia?” Mila asks. And I, well “I
remember names like Porto Alegre, Bom Futuro, Nova Vista, Aqui Perto,
São Lázaro, Santarém, Leitoso, Marabá, and obviously, São
Salvador da Bahia de Todos os Santos” I say, and they, I mean, they
even clap hands as they listen to this, and then, Daphne even pass me
some kind of rolled up joint, and so, I take some deep puffs on it,
some deep puffs that make me stick against the back of the seat, and
so, in the meanwhile, they even tell me that they want to know
nothing more about my persona, and then, the music volume is turned
up again, and, actually, the selection goes from goa-trance to
dubstep, and then, from dubstep to afrobeat, and then, from afrobeat
to tekno-punk, and then, from tekno-punk to acid-house, and then,
from acid-house to lowfi-electro-ethno-something or whatever... and,
further, as we relax ourselves, "Aren’t you tired of
traveling?” Mila just asks, and, “no, never!” I say, and then
“mentirozo” Daphne just says , this is, as we leave the main
road we take another smaller roads by the coast, and on the going we
actually pass small towns like Quissamã, Macaé, Rio das Ostras,
Cabo Frio, Marica and so, at the end of the afternoon we actually
arrive at Guanabara bay, just on the other side of Rio de Janeiro,
and, accordingly, while crossing the Niteroi-Rio bridge, a bridge
with almost ten kilometers, down there on our right hand, I actually
see a big island, this is, as it goes, they tell me that that is the
“Ilha do Governador” or “Governor's Island”, and “it is on
this island that lays a famous house of correction, to where the
social actually send the worst vagabonds in the country…” says
the voice of the experienced… and then, “around there, there are
huge fleas and ticks everywhere, I mean, at the houses, in the
supermarkets, on the beach… it’s disgusting… you should never
go there…” she voice of experience finishes to say. And so, then,
as we reach the end of the bridge, we actually pass a decrepit
portuary zone, they call Caju, then it's the São Cristóvão
neighborhood, a neighborhood with numerous early colonial-period
buildings, and then Maracanã, “a middle-class neighborhood where
is Maracanã stadium”, one of them also says, this is, “a stadium
used for major football matches between the main Rio’s football
clubs, like Flamengo, Fluminense, Botafogo, and Vasco da Gama...”
and then, we reach Tijuca, “one of the most traditional districts
of Rio de Janeiro…” Daphne says, and then Mila clarifies “Tijuca
is a name from the Tupi (Brazilian Indians) language and means
"rotten water", this is, “ty” means “water" and
“îuk-rotten", and the name actually refers the Tijuca lagoon,
a big lagoon that has some islands where some freaks live, including
our grandma, and so yes, it’s there our destination… it’s there
we are going…” and then, as we reach the top of the hill, also
called “morro da boa-vista – hill of the good view” we can
already see the just-said lagoon and the atlantic ocean on the back.
And, then, as we go down the Itanhangá neighborhood, “a name also
of tupi origin, meaning stone devil, a combination of “itá”
meaning “stone” and “anhanga” meaning “devil…” Daphne
just explains. And then, at the bottom of the hill, we take a small
boat with other local tourists and soon we are actually getting to
the Gigóia island, an island with no cars, only barren walking
streets… and not many houses also, some over the water… and so,
in the meanwhile, I get to know their grandma, Dona Aparecida, who
owns a small cafe in one of these areas, on an embankment between
the forest and a swamp area… and well, later, Dona Aparecida,
actually a Cowrie-shell reader, a practice taken from the Yoruba
religion, in Africa, would start read my future, so, the shells are
thrown and the number of shells that fall with the opening facing up
is associated with a certain Odu, and, accordingly, each Odu is
actually associated with a certain Orisha that says who we are and
what we are doing here in this world and what's our destination…
and so, as it goes, Dona Aparecida tells me that my name is “Shima…
and you are here because you have something to learn here, on this
island, but your destination is south, and you are over the command
of Yamanja, so your element is silver, you should visit Mar del Plata
- Silver Sea, a coastal city in Argentina”. So, said and done, down
the coast I go, and this is, I actually manage to get to this city
“Mar de Plata”, but once there I find nothing special, “Mar de
Plata” is actually an important fishing port, and it was on this
port, between the fishermen, that I would find my reason, this is, I
just get aboard some fishing boat that take me even further south, to
Monte
Dinero - Money Mount,
that is already on the mouth of Patagonia, and once there, I would
get on another ship that take me across the Strait of Magellan, an
arm of sea connecting the Pacific with the Atlantic ocean, also
separating mainland South America from Tierra del Fuego, so, I get to
Punta Arenas, historically known as Sandy Point, the capital city of
Chile's southernmost region, Magallanes and Antarctica Chilena,
located on the Brunswick Peninsula, and once there, I get in touch
with a bunch of mischievous hippies that would take me to the Dawson
Island, an area that was inhabited by the Kawésqar, also called the
Alcalufe that also lived in another islands west of Tierra del Fuego,
later decimated by European miners, that flocked to the area in
search of gold, this is, by the time of the Chilean military
dictatorship, Augusto Pinochet used the island to house political
prisoners suspected of being communist activists, and there they
stayed under the strict control of the Chilean Navy. And so, once on
the Dawson island, I run away from the European hippies and I get
lost in this island, freezing myself, until that I find some cottage,
and actually, in front of this cottage there is a man cutting wood,
and so, this man, first he ignore me, pretending he's not seeing me
and just then, he actually invites me to come inside, and well, as it
goes, while we warm up by the fireplace, he confesses to me that he
also got lost many times, that is, he have traveled all around the
world, got tired of people and finished here. This is, “I toured
all Europe several times, I sailed the Bosporus, I have been to
China, I put down the anchor on the Bay of Bengal, I have been to the
Solomon islands, living with cannibals, I visited Alaska, and I have
been to the Arabias, I toured all around the Persian sea, I have been
to the Tasman sea, got to know the devil of Tasmania, I have been
everywhere, I got tired of everything, and now I’m just here,
alone, and I’m Ok”.
Saturday, March 22, 2025
ANYWHERE - 9 - amazonia to patagonia
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment