Therefore,
it’s night, and so, as I advance through some middle-class
neighborhood, actually
looking
up, gazing at the lights on the windows of certain
buildings,
up
there, after
have
finished with
this
bottle I’m
actually carrying with me, I even
begin
to address some of these individuals actually leaning over there, on
the parapets
that windows… this
is, in the meanwhile actually
engaging
in
small conversations with
them...
and so,
as it goes, at
some point, I’m
already
entering some
of these
building with
opened doors, this
is, as
I pass through their main doors, there
I go, already
mounting
on lifts, hitting
the stairs,
going
up, going down, going up again, advancing through this and that
corridors with blinking lights, and
then, battering
on doors... calling names... making requests... and so, I may say
that, as I go through, the majority of these flat dwellers actually
doesn’t
even
show up, this
is,
some just speak through the
joints
of this
so-said doors, asking names, numbers... and thus, according to the
roughness of my voice, I was Jack, I was John, I was Gabriel the
angel, but... they do
not
care about
messengers,
this is, almost always I was sent away, even so, I didn't give up so
easily, I mean, I just carried
on going
from building to building, still trying, going up and down stairs,
going through this or that corridor, beating on this and that door,
until that, at some point, I actually ended up being caught on the
run in one of these corridors, and say, with no questioning, these
men just grabbed me by the back and instantly began to push me down
through the stairs, this is, they wanted me to leave quickly, with no
justifications, and so, for a while in the middle of all this
hullabaloo we follow, I mean, there was shouting, there was some
screaming, and as this is actually happening, some of the dwellers of
the various flats around are already coming out, some trying to
understand what was/is actually going on here now, others already
joining my precursors and with no questioning already pushing me down
the stairs, calling me dirty names… and so, as this is actually
happening, at some point, a certain door actually opens just on my
side, and from there a certain middle aged woman comes forward
already pushing me inside her flat while actually screaming at my
persecutors...
that just stand back, and so, once the door is closed and the racket
extinguished, there we go through some kind of hall with a jumble of
decorative objects piled up against the side walls, I mean, the two
of us actually walking side by side on this semi-darkness, say, me
occasionally slipping on the crinkled carpet and accidentally
touching my hostess's body just to avoid the fall... and then, here
we are, already arriving at this tiny living room clogged up with a
certain kind of old fashion furniture, some discolored pictures of
birds on the walls, some landscapes, etc... and so, by now, at her
demand, I just install myself on this old fashioned couch, and, as I
lean back, there she stays, looking at the top of myself, and as she
keeps looking, here I'm, already stammering a few words, trying to
explain the cause of me being there beating on doors, but, probably
feeling the embarrassment on my voice, by now she just says,
“actually you don't need to hurry up telling me your story... I'm
not asking you anything... you can just relax... and tell me about it
later... after the tea and the cookies... I mean... just relax
now...” And, well, as I hear this, I just nod my head, and then, as
she leaves the room, I just lean back against the sofa's frame, and I
take a deep breath with closed eyes... therefore, during some time I
stay in this position, gently inhaling and exhaling, until that, in
the meanwhile, I actually come hear some kind of voices apparently
coming from some sort of movie that is actually being watched close
by... and so, as I reopen my eyes, instantly I see this semi open
door on the other side of the living room, and then, while I make the
sofa creak, that door is actually promptly closed producing
a big bang. Further,
as my host comes back with a tray containing two cups of tea and a
variety of cookies, here she is, already explaining,“That's my
daughter, Maho!... there she stays... watching movie after movie, and
worrying about... well... I'm not sure about what she really worries
about…” she says while actually passing me one of the tea cups,
and then, after taking some sips on her cup, she just continues like
this “...I mean, since she left school, she shows no interest in
anything, she just stays there... I mean, she almost do not go out of
that room, doesn't take care of herself, doesn’t want to go look
for a job... look for a life... nothing… she just stays there... a
pretty indolent one, I may say... too much like her father...”; and
then, as I hear her saying this, I decide to intervene in this
manner, “But Ma'am,
you better pay attention to what is really happening in her head... I
mean, you better not censure her too much, coz, one day, maybe, she
can just leave to never come back... just like me that… that got
tired of family criticism and, just got astray... to never come
back...”; “Oh really! I see now! But, may I ask, where have you
been all this time?”; “Well, I have been on the road... say, I
walked thousands of kilometers going from city to city, got jobs here
and there, stupid jobs like, cleaning toilets, removing bones from
the carcass of animals, transporting stuff, picking stuff, carrying
stuff, manufacturing stuff, etc. “Ouh poor you... but when was
that??”; “Ages ago, or perhaps not that much... I'm not good with
numbers and timing anyway...”; “I see, but you are still
young...”; “it’s a possibility mam, maybe I’m what they call
an eternal teenager…”; “Hum... they... but who are they?”;
“They, the trained ones, the students of the brain... the
specialists of the mind, I mean…”; “...and are you OK with
that?”; “I'm very OK mam... I don't much care about anything they
say...”; “hum, but, tell me one thing, after all that wandering
you have been doing, you actually never came back home?”; “That's
right mam, a long time have passed, and I never actually came back
home!”; “But… may I ask you now, where have you been more
precisely?”; “Well, I have been in many places, many countries,
for example, after that meat factory, in another country, I would
find work on a timber factory, but it didn't last for long... then in
another country, I would work in some glass factory, making windows
for offices... and then, in another country, I also would work in a
mattress factory... but, say, my last job in factories would actually
be in this stone factory where we actually were making engravings for
cemetery tombs and well.... we even had to use a mask all the time
because of that dust... so, yeah, it was depressing... thus, after
that, I never would get a job again...”; “Right, I see now, but,
let me ask you, what have you been doing after that?”; “Well,
say, I have been walking around... being a hobo everywhere... I mean,
I have been in many countries... crossed some deserts...”; “oh,
and, didn't you find your oasis yet?”; “I believe the oasis is
inside not outside...”; “Hum, can't fully understand your words
now, but, that's ok, if you fell happy here now, enjoy your time...
it's my pleasure to give you a place to rest before your next...
let’s say... your next desert crossing...”; “No more deserts
crosses for me Ma'am, please... I had enough from deserts… wanna
tell you... today I just got out of that sandstorm machine... wanna
tell you, today I feel human again...” And, as I actually say those
things here she is actually watching me with curiosity, and then, to
change conversation, I just stand up and walk around this living
room, this is, I put my attention on this and that artifact laid up
on the surrounding tables, and then, I just approach the window, I
open it and I put my head out... and, as I do it, instantly, down
there I see a horse (maybe a donkey), grazing the grass in the back
of the buildings... and I don't know why, I begin to yell some
onomatopoeias... like “arrrsh”, “ashuhurrruff”, “Urrruff”
things like this... and as it goes, the ma'am on my back is already
romping into a strange kind of dry laugh... roaring more like a
female lion... and, in this fashion I continue for a while, throwing
onomatopeias out of the window, this till that, the neighbors are
also joining me, shouting from another side windows, some cursing,
some yelling, some pronouncing the name of god in vain... and thus,
the spectacle continues like this during some time until that the
madam begin to fight with her own breath and can’t laugh no more...
so, she comes by and closes the window... but, even with the window
closed, we still can hear the neighbors quarreling outside, on the
side windows parapets of their flats.. and then, as I turn back, now
I(we) can see this tall girl with plain long hair standing by the
door-still of her room, by now looking at us with some disgust on the
main facade but also, some kind of tricky smile in the corners of her
mouth. “What's going on here?? And who’s this one? Why is he
doing a pathetic scene like this in our house?”; “Don't worry,
sweeter...” answers the Ma'am, her mother, “this man is… well,
this man is the new plumber let’s say... can't you see? He came to
clean out the roast from the tubes…” and as she says this me and
the ma’am are sharing some kind of half smiles, and then, her the
daughter, with some kind of hatred expression in her face, “So very
fucking funny you two are…” says “and what you gonna do next
hein… you gonna invite him to live here... ha? Is it that, and you
will pay for his food you will pay to listen his babbling and prattle
and then, we will be having his beggar friends coming over for super
too??...”; “Just shut up” her mother says, but she continues
“And then, you will let them stay overnight too, yes... they will
fight between them for the best places to sleep... this is, maybe
over the kitchen table, or who knows, here in the living room, on the
back of the curtains... maybe in your bedroom, inside the wardrobe,
is that what you want, hein?”; “Shut up” the mother repeats.
“And then you will see, they will get really mad... they will mess
with everything here, they will disrespect us and our neighbors...
and, to finish with it, they will throw us out, sell all our stuff,
and most probably, they will turn this into a crack house…” she
says, and as she says those things, her expression is serious but her
tune of voice sounds kinda silly at the same time... plus I know, she
had stolen some of her interjections from an old black n' white
American movie from the fifties that I have also seen... I'm not sure
about the name of it... but, I know the very same scenes she had just
resumed... and I could tell it even with more details... but her
mother probably don’t know about this movie, and so, she took the
comments form her daughter too much in the heart, so much in the
heart that her face turned pale, and for sure, there may be many kind
of feelings fighting inside her head and nervous system
momentarily... and so, by now the ma’am advances to her daughter
and “You stupid girl... don't you scream like that on me...” she
says. "You are just as ungrateful as your father was, I gave
you everything, I took food from myself to feed you... to feed both
of you... and... what happened? One disappeared when more was
needed... and the other... well, the other passes the time locked in
the room... not showing any humanity… just addressing her mother
with bad words, insulting me... so, what more do you want now? I
mean, who are you to judge the people I receive at MY house like
this? Are you jealous? What is all this nonsense about? And why are
you trying to control what is not yours... If you want to be the
boss, why don't you go and find a job? Why don't you pay for your
food? Why don’t you help me to pay the rent... then you could stand
up, raise your voice, choose the good people to live here…” And,
even before the mother finishes with her discourse, the daughter's is
already passing her hands through the cupboard with violence, and,
one by one she smashes all those crystal figures against the floor.
And then, inside her bedroom, more stuff is being broken, we can
hear… and so, while this happen, there she goes, the mother trying
to enter that same room, but, she can't coz actually the door is
blocked... until that, here comes her daughter with a small leather
pack on her back, her hands going over the tables around, again...
this is, some more decoration stuff being broken... and then, as she
make her way out through the main door, those are her final words:
“You fat cow... you will never see me again... I'm gonna live with
my father... you bitch!” she says slamming the door on her back.
Thus, she's gone now, like I have predicted. And so, here
now,
we
have
this mother bursting into a pathetic cry, already going for the door,
opening it, and
then, running
along the corridor on the
pursue of her daughter... and thus, as this
enraged mother
actually reaches
the top of the stairs, she
tries
to slap her daughter, but,
as she tries that, the
girl actually
manages
to pull her
mother against the wall, and
in
the meanwhile, she just gets
in the lift and down she goes. And the mother, here she stays,
rolling on the carpet, weeping and gurgling like it’s the end of
the world... and, as it continues, some neighbors are already coming
out of their flats, going up and down stairs, in a while facing this
woman bursting on the floor, and others, facing me here on the
door... and so, here now, I’m actually
hesitating
between advancing to help the ma’am or close the door... but, I
have no time to choose, because, two men, this is, apparently the
same ones that hours ago have tried to expel me from this same
corridor, take hold of me now and, in a while, I’m being pushed
down the stairs, this is, as it goes they do call me all kind of
dirty names... and then, after going through the corridors, with a
kick, onto
the street I’m actually
being thrown...
and
so,
again, there I
go, through the night.

No comments:
Post a Comment